terça-feira, 16 de fevereiro de 2010

Endociclagem em 1864

THE DENTAL COSMOS, 6 (3): 151-152, 1864

THE TREATMENT OF PULP CAVITIES AND ROOT CANALS BEFORE FILLING
By Henry S. Chase, M.D.

Every one of experience knows how difficult it is to extirpate the vessels and nerves of the root canals after destroying the pulp. In many cases, of course, it is quite easily done; much easier in some classes of teeth than others; and more so in some mouths than others, even in the same classes of teeth, and where the position of the cavity is the same. When we can be sure that we have removed the contents of the root canals, I would advise the cavity to be immediately plugged, leaving at the distant extremity of each root a few fibres of lint moistened with creosote. When we are not sure that we have removed the whole, and in the molars, I think, this generally the case, I think it safer to wait a few days until decomposition has taken place in the vessels, which result accomplished, they can be syringed and sucked out. When the contents of the root canals have not been removed at all, I would apply nothing to the cavity after removing the pulp in the upper teeth, and would only plug with loosen cotton. The object is to have decomposion take place, which would be prevented by the application of creosote and similar remedies. When decomposition has taken place, the force of gravity will, to a certain extent, bring down the contents into the cotton. I think about three weeks a proper time to wait, after the death of the pulp, before filling, in this case. Then the roots should be thoroughly syringed out with tepid water, succeeded by alcohol, and, before plugging, wiped with creosote and tannin. In case of the under teeth, as the force of gravity would be likely to bring portions of the decomposed vessels through the roots, and there sets up periostitis, I would proceed differently. As soon as the pulp is dead, I removed it, and if the root canals cannot be evacuated, I saturate their contents with creosote and tannin; at the end of a week I syringe them thoroughly with alcohol, and saturate again with tinct. iodine. At the aspiration of another week I syringe again with alcohol, wipe with creosote and tannin, and immediately plug with metal, through I would never put in a permanent plug while any soreness of the tooth might start a suspicion of its permanency. I thing an instrument for removing the contents of the root canals might be made which would add very much to our sucess in treating this class of teeth. I believe a small but powerful suction pump or syringe could be made with different shaped nozzles or points, to which soft rubber should be adapted in such a manner as to make the cavity to which it might be applied nearly air-tight. If this could be done, we can readily perceive that the contents of the canals could be readily sucked out when somewhat decomposed, and that we could be very sure of thus cleansing them perfectly. I hope some of my professional brethren who are more ingenious, and better mechanics than myself , will construct an instrument of this kind. Even if it should be patented I will not refuse to patronize it.

Indepedence, Iowa.

Nenhum comentário:

Postar um comentário